-
June 6th, 2002, 05:40 AM
#1
Inactive Member
We've all had those times when everything was working great on the gig or rehearsal and other times when it was a nightmare.
Can you describe the gear, approaches, routines and/or mindset that you used when your playing was totally at its peak?
Thanks
-
June 6th, 2002, 09:20 AM
#2
jonthibault
Guest
I notice that sticks have a great deal to do with it. For me, the old Weckl's were too long, and I would tend to have to muscle them and play a little behind the beat. It didn't sound good. When I play with the knew Weckl's, they feel a little weird because they're so light, but I sound a lot better, on top of the beat.
Just lately I've really been concentrating on learning the songs inside and out. I've had a long habit of playing tunes I didn't really know well (usually on the radio, when I was younger), and therefore I would lag just a tiny bit to hear what was happening, rather than playing WITH the band. It's a really bad habit to get into and a tough one to break. Only now am I really starting to get a feel for that zone...where you "own" the song you're playing and are totally in the moment. I think that's why it's so important to study jazz; when you play a jazz standard, you have to know the melody of the tune, whereas in most rock songs you can just go "boom-chick-boom-boom-chick".
-
June 7th, 2002, 04:55 PM
#3
HB Forum Owner
This is a topic that interests me.
Whenever I drum, one of my goals is to get to "that place" aka THE Z O N E. I recognize it while it happens because I am successfully playing the ideas in my head and the stuff just seems to flow out on it's own with minimal effort. It's a nice place.
I don't know exactly how to make it happen but there are things that I do to try to set the table for it.
Gear can be a factor I guess but I dont think its required. Its possible to zone on a shitty kit I think. But on the other hand if your drums are sounding great to you, then that will only push you to play better.
I tend to close my eyes a lot when I play, and relax. I'm drumming in my head just about 24-7 so I approach physically drumming as just sitting at the kit and playing the stuff I'm already thinking about. I try to translate my musical thoughts. Thinking itself is an easy task so if your technique permits you to REALLY play what your thinking than it should be no problem. I think technique plays a part as well because it literally dictates how easy or hard it is to play your stuff. Struggling to pull stuff off prevents relaxing and I dont think the zone can be reached when you have to give 100% to play your stuff. Sure theres those harder things we all play that require you to put it in fifth gear but I only put it there when I need to, then downshift again so I can remain relaxed. Then I focus on what I'm doing and kind of let it happen on it's own.
Sometimes it does and sometimes not. Thats how its supposed to be though because if the zone occured all the time it would lose its novelty.
-
June 7th, 2002, 05:58 PM
#4
Inactive Member
The zone is the best feeling in the world. (Man we're really gonna have to give Weckl some royalties in a minute here.) My problem is, I'm either there, or else I play like total shit. There's no in between. In fact, I get totally pissed when things aren't feeling right. As a matter of fact I'm on a break from a shitty practice at school right now.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks